Thursday, January 9, 2014

One Word: Commit

Do you have commitment issues? You can be honest, there is no judgement here. I am the poster child for commitment issues. I am great at coming up with grand schemes, but following through hasn't always been my strong suit. A few months ago, the Lord convicted me of allowing my talents to lay wasted, and encouraged…err…commanded me to pick them up and use them. So, I began writing my blog and after some time of being consistent with that, He began having me write a book. I don't think my commitment issues stemmed from laziness ( not completely anyway), but in not feeling like what I was doing was anything special - a kind of "why bother?" attitude. The truth is, as long as we are doing it for The Lord - it is special - to him - and he receives it as worship!

As the new year began, I saw the growing trend of the "one word" movement for 2014, in place of the traditional resolution. I wasn't feeling totally swayed at first, but my need to conquer a good challenge kicked in and since coming up with one lone word as my resolution for 2014 was truly a challenge - I accepted! I mean really, one word?! I figured I would need at least 25 to get myself in order! Can I get an amen?! Seriously, though, as I began to ponder on the verses that'd been on my heart - and thought about the verses that my husband had shared with me, I heard my "one word". COMMIT. I feel that this word was two-part, meaning that I needed to commit to work the blessings He's given and will give me, and that once I have made that choice, that I then need to commit those blessings to him.

"Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed." Proverbs 16:3

This is an oldie but a goodie, for most of us. We read it and trust in the fulfillment of His promise. This promise is conditional, however, and I wonder how many of us have been putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable, so to speak, when it comes to this verse and others like it. In order for our plans to succeed,we must first COMMIT them to the Lord. Um…yeah. That's easy peasy. NOT! If you're like me, you like to control your plans - they are yours after all, right? Well, even if that's true, so is this:

"People may plan all kinds of things, but the Lord's will is going to be done." Proverbs 19:21

Oh, Proverbs! You have a way of chopping us down to size! But really, we know that God can navigate better than we could even dream of, so why waste precious time trying to steer ourselves? That being said, it is still not easy to give over a dream! 

It's a trust fall, a leap of faith. But we know that he will catch us -that he will come through, because he is faithful! So, close your eyes and jump already!

Maybe you are still stuck on the actually committing to the working park - the making up your mind to put your head down and plow - I am right there with you. I am more of a sit in the shade and sip tea kind of gal….not a plower, but I hear God saying it is time to work - and sow amazing seeds that will turn into fruit more bountiful than we can imagine! 

He is faithful to his promises. Commit and watch him establish you. 

Yesterday, I heard the words of a very successful Christian who is no stranger to hard work, say the words, "If you will not be lazy and commit to the process - He (God) will do great things". This struck me, as it was the very words He'd already been speaking to me. I love how he confirms His Word to us. 

So, I took the challenge and found my one word for 2014. I will commit to the process and I will commit the process to Him. Will you commit in 2014? What's your one word? 

XO - Shara


This blog was linked up at Serving Joyfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment