Thursday, October 16, 2014

Overcoming Hindrances: Kicking Obstacles to the Curb!





Image courtesy of Renjith Krishnan 

at freedigitalphotos.net



One Step Forward - Two Steps Back

Have you ever had a dream in which you
were trying to run but couldn't
 move, or what about trying to call someone but couldn't dial the number? Frustrating, right? What is even more frustrating, though, is feeling like
this is real life. One step forward - two steps back is a dance I am very familiar with right now. I have
actually found myself saying aloud, "Why can't I make progress?" It seems as if invisible road blocks have been placed in my path to keep me from moving forward. Can you relate to this? 

Pray Against Hindrances

Over the past week, after a series of strange, frustrating and sometimes dangerous events, I very clearly heard God tell me to "pray against hindrances". Before I had hardly any time to let this sink in, I had to deal with a very upsetting situation. In the midst of letting myself become too emotionally involved and being tempted to stoop to a level that I would quickly regret, I heard those words again - "pray against hindrances". I quickly realized that this situation was not a random occurrence, but a purposeful hindrance placed in my path to steal my focus. 

What's Holding You Back? 

Hindrances come in many forms. Some are obvious and some are more subtle. The situation I referred to was subtle. It wasn't blatantly keeping me from physically doing my job, but instead occupied my mind to the point that I could not concentrate on anything else because I was so upset. Hindrances can be physical, mental, emotional and even spiritual. We must learn to discern our encumbrances so that we can cast them aside.

"Therefore, having so vast a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, and throwing off everything that hinders us and especially the sin that so easily entangles us, let us keep running with endurance the race set before us." Hebrews 12:1

I challenge you to be more astute to what might be preventing you from moving forward. Maybe you are allowing gossip to consume your mind, worry to effect your health or making poor decisions that are effecting your job. Perhaps the hindrance is not something you are doing but something that is being done to you and you are allowing it to have power in your life. 

Breakthrough is Coming!

God does not want you remaining stale - he desires that you have victory! I encourage you to pray and ask God to open your eyes to anything that is holding you back from running the race that he has set before you. I'd love to hear your feedback! Has God revealed an obstruction? How are you dealing with it?  




No comments:

Post a Comment