Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I believe in the Complete Sovereignty of God


     Upon reading some responses to my last blog, I realized that what I’d said stirred some emotions. (You can view my latest blog, Speaking To Your Mountain Here ) I searched my heart and asked if my fingertips had gone astray when I typed those words, “part of his plan”. After searching, I came to the conclusion that the disagreement concerning those words is most likely due to semantics or theology. Let’s face it, after only two years as a theology student I have come to learn that a lot of theology is semantics. It is Man made beliefs wrapped up in pretty packages. 


             I believe in the Complete Sovereignty of God-

I believe in God’s complete and total sovereignty. I believe that he knows all, controls all, and has power over all. Therefore, if I get cancer - whether the devil gives it to me or God disciplines me with it ( I will share my story in a moment) he is still in control of the situation. Even if he is only allowing the devil to inflict it on me, as in Job, he is allowing it for a reason - a reason that fulfills his plan for my life. Satan’s self-perceived power is a false security. Therefore, in my opinion, when speaking of Father God who controls all (even Satan) “allowing” and “doing” are interchangeable and to argue that would be arguing semantics. 

“I’m convinced: You can do anything and everything.
    Nothing and no one can upset your plans.
You asked, ‘Who is this muddying the water,
    ignorantly confusing the issue, second-guessing my purposes?’” Job 42:1-2

Our perception of good and bad is clouded by our imperfection. We do not understand with the fullness and clarity that our perfect God does. If something hurts us, it is bad. A few years ago, I became very sick. I laid in bed one day and literally called upon God and asked him if I was going to die. After what seemed like forever filled with the sound of crickets, he told me “maybe, that is up to you.” I was so taken aback by his response, but knew in my spirit what he meant- I believe he gave me understanding. I was being disciplined and it was up to me how far it would go. Now, don’t get me wrong, he knew the end...he knew I wasn’t going to die. But he allowed me to go through the motions - to feel the sting of my sin - and to repent. The cancer that took my reproductive organs gave me something far greater in return - a love for God like never before and a calm in his sovereignty and power. He is my Father - a good father that will discipline his children. Discipline does not feel good- it may appear as things that are “bad”. But HE does it - the Bible says so. 

“...because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son."  Hebrew 12:6 


There are many instances in the Bible that God caused things that we define as "bad" upon his children. He denied Moses’ entry into the promised land as punishment for defiance. He took the life of David’s newborn son because of David's sin. He denied Paul the removal of demonic affliction (his “thorn”) because he wanted Paul to understand the power of his grace, and he states that the man who was blind from childhood was blind in order to bring glory to God upon his healing later in life. 
I am not opposed to differing opinions in theology. Much of my schooling consists of debate. Differences in beliefs and debate causes us to reach deep inside and wrestle to determine what we truly believe. It’s a good thing. One of my favorite quotes goes like this:


"Intellectual integrity requires you to set aside your presuppositions long enough to see them for what they really are." 

     We all have presuppositions. You could call it intellectual baggage. If I could only state one thing that I took away from studying theology, it would be that I know nothing...my beliefs are stuffed into a tiny box that was constructed of my environment, heredity, upbringing and words that I've heard. All I can commit to knowing is that I believe God is 100% in control. My fate it 100% his decision. I submit to this and find freedom here. 

Love y'all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment